Does Apple cider Vinegar lower blood sugar levels? I have heard about it here and there , seen on internet and also one of my friend is using it, I am interested to know If Apple Cider Vinegar can lower blood sugar levels really? I understood it is beneficial not only in lowering blood sugar levels but also in improving our insulin sensitivity which means better control and reversal of diabetes.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
In French the Word vinegar means Sour Wine, Apple cider vinegar is made by fermenting the sugars from apples. This turns them into acetic acid, the active ingredient in vinegar. Apple cider vinegar consists of Friendly Bacteria
As published in American Diabetes Association
vinegar can significantly improve postprandial insulin sensitivity in insulin-resistant subjects. Acetic acid has been shown to suppress disaccharidase activity (3) and to raise glucose-6-phosphate concentrations in skeletal muscle (4); thus, vinegar may possess physiological effects similar to acarbose or metformin.
It is understood that vinegar can improve insulin sensitivity and aid in suppressing blood sugar levels after meals and vinegar has metformin like action.
As per a clinical trial conducted by NCBI, USA. it is concluded that Apple cider vinegar can reduce blood sugar levels by 31.4% when eating 50 grams of white bread.
How Does Apple cider Vinegar lower blood sugar levels?
- Improves Insulin sensitivity by 19% in Diabetics and 34% in prediabetics.
- Lowers blood glucose levels by 31%, that means instead of 200mg/dl you will see 170 mg/dl which means a normal range for random blood sugar sampling.
- Apple cider vinegar can lower fasting blood glucose levels by 4% which is not very high but it is good, because controlling fasting blood sugar levels is bigger challenge every diabetic experiences.
- A study in obese individuals showed that daily vinegar consumption led to reduced belly fat, waist circumference, lower blood triglycerides and weight loss. lowering triglycerides is also important for diabetics.
- Apple cider vinegar can reduce cholesterol and Blood Pressure also, So if you are a diabetic who also deals with Blood pressure Apple cider vinegar should have a place in your kitchen.
- Apple cider vinegar is not just limited to control blood sugar levels, it has many more uses.
see below the excerpt from Dr. Mercola
Hippocrates used vinegar to manage wounds, while medical practitioners in the 1700s used it to treat everything from poison ivy and croup to stomach aches. Vinegar was even used to treat diabetes.1
How can Apple cider vinegar lower blood sugar levels?
Vinegar is said to be anti-glycemic and has a beneficial effect on blood sugar levels. It’s thought that the acetic acid in vinegar may lower blood sugar by preventing the complete digestion of complex carbohydrates, which is accomplished either by accelerating gastric emptying or increasing the uptake of glucose by bodily tissues.
One more theory suggests that vinegar inactivates some enzymes which convert carbohydrates into sugar, Thus lowering glucose in your blood stream.
How to use Apple cider Vinegar
- Drinking with water early in the morning (this is the most easiest way )
- Drinking before meals by diluting in water.
- can be used in salads.
- can be added to chutneys and pickles, South Indian breakfasts are never complete without chutneys so you can try adding apple cider vinegar to chutneys, it can also act as preserving agent .
- Add vinegar while cooking beans, cabbage and cauliflower this can help reduce gassy elements.
- Adding Apple cider vinegar to Pasta will make it less starchy which is good for diabetes
you can refer below links to know about effectiveness of Apple cider vinegar in lowering blood sugar levels
Where to purchase good quality Apple cider Vinegar?
Before knowing where to purchase good quality Apple cider vinegar, Let us understand how to know if the Apple cider vinegar is pure or not? Following are the properties of good quality Apple cider vinegar.
- Purchase unfiltered, unrefined and unpasteurized Apple cider vinegar.
- There is a substance usually at the bottom of the bottle known as the “mother” ( see the picture besides to understand) . This is a cloudy, stringy, jelly like mix of proteins, enzymes and friendly bacteria left over from the last steps of fermentation! This is the sign that you’ve got the right stuff; cold pressed and organically grown.
- Prefer vinegar packed in glass bottles.
How Diabetics can use Apple cider vinegar ?
- Take one glass of water by adding 10 ml of Apple cider vinegar early in the morning.
- If you eat salads just pour 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar over the salad.
- Take one glass of water by adding 10 ml of Apple cider vinegar before sleeping in the night, this is especially good for diabetics who have problem with digestion issues.
- Taste of apple cider vinegar is bit souar it may taste someething like alcoholic, Men do not have issue drinking some women have problem with the taste.
Brands I recommend
Apple cider vinegar is not very commonly available in India unlike in USA and other countries. I prefer shopping for Apple cider vinegar on Amazon.in , There few good brands, most famous one is Braggs which is made in USA.
This is the only brand which packes their apple cider vinegar in glass bottles instead of plastic bottles , t=it comes with mother. This is raw and unfiltered it costs ₹ 640 for 473 ml.
[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”160″ identifier=”B00UPTU286″ locale=”IN” nw=”y” src=”https://healthydietfordiabetics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/41W1J6HTc9L.SL160.jpg” tag=”readitt-21″ width=”123″]
Some people have told [easyazon_link identifier=”B01LZ3X2HE” locale=”IN” tag=”readitt-21″]nourish vitals apple cider vinegar[/easyazon_link] is good so I have bought a 500ml bottle and tried but I did not like its taste very much.
I personally use Sinew Apple cider vinegar this is made in India brand , I liked its taste and also felt improvement in digestion and reduced cravings. This one is cheaper and I recommend it .
[easyazon_infoblock align=”center” identifier=”B01N11L7E8″ locale=”IN” tag=”readitt-21″]
If you have used any other brand which you like please comment below and let us know.