Short answer for your question ” Can Diabetics drink coconut water ?” is Yes, Lets investigate more deeply. Coconut water is a natural drink rich in minerals and vitamins. As per several researches consumption of matured coconut water can reduce blood sugar levels, glycated hemoglobin levels and improvement in plasma insulin levels. Let us analyse in deep what does coconut water contain and how can it be good to diabetics?
- Decrease in Sugar Cravings: As Coconut water is sweet, It is found that people who drink coconut water regularly have lesser sugar cravings.
- high in potassium : high amounts of potassium is good in helping nerve function , but not good for diabetics with kidney complications. If you have kidney complications you must be cautious.
- high in magnesium : Magnesium is good in increasing insulin sensitivity, which in turn will help blood sugar control.
- Sugar content is bit high but fructose is less :Glucose – 50 % , Sucrose -35% and Fructose – 15% , Glucose is more , So instant energy but at the same time you should watch out for quantity. Good thing is it does not have a lot of fructose which is considered bad for diabetics, you may read the article
- Low on glyacemic index and glyacemic load: Coconut water has a glycemic index and glycemic load of 3 which is very low . So you don’t need to worry about blood sugar spikes.
- Coconut water directly improves blood circulation and aids to widen the vessels for smooth blood circulation. This can be very helpful in diabetics with neuropathy.
- keeps you full for a longer time: Keeps you full without adding much to calories you take , And a bonus is so you avoid eating more. So it is a double bonus ” low on calories but keep you fuller”
- Drinking Coconut water can help in inducing metabolism : It is important for diabetics to boost their metabolism, Exercise can help to boost the metabolism and coconut water also can help you do the same.
- Coconut water is rich in anti oxidants : Coconuts are rich in vitamin C, Vitamin c means more anti oxidants. I dont need to tell you more how good are anti oxidants for your body .
- Low on Glycemic load and index: Coconut water has a glycemic load and glycemic index of 3 which is very low.
- Prefer Mature coconut water because the research done by national center for biotechnology information USA confirms that Diabetics can drink Coconut water and results were effective for diabetics you can read the research here -Hypoglycemic and antioxidant potential of coconut water in experimental diabetes.
I prefer to drink water from Coconuts directly, If you belong to any coastal part of India you will be lucky enough to have this natural coconut water by just crack open the fresh coconuts. In India Coconut water is called as ” Nariyal Pani ” But for the people who don’t have access to coconuts may try to get some packed coconut water in stores of from Amazon There are several [easyazon_link identifier=”B01174XM6G” locale=”IN” tag=”readitt-21″]packed coconut water brands[/easyazon_link] available in Amazon India but I am not sure of their quality.