Diet chart for Diabetic patients is not much different from healthy eating style, we have forget the basics our grandmothers told us, Indian cooking is based on Ayurveda which is a 5,000 year-plus-old Indian health science. I can say if you can go back and think what were you eating 30 / 40 years ago and follow the same you will no more need diabetic diet chart to control or reverse your diabetes.
Ayuvveda is an ancient science which actually discovered how cooking and the time taken to cook can change the composition of a particular food and its effect on the body. few examples are
- lycopene in tomatoes, which enhances while cooking can be used by the body more effectively.
- Tempering onion with hing balances the diuretic properties in onion that makes it good for cough and cold and helps in digestion
- deep frying onions till they turn brown will only make them loose all their nutrients and even cause acidity. That’s why our grand mothers used to recommend frying onions till they turn translucent.
Most of our food practices have been passed down from one generation to the next through the oral tradition. This includes what to eat, how to eat, how much to eat and when to stop eating. Now we are asking some one else who really don't know about all these except our Grandmother, Did you ever wonder why food cooked by Grandmother tastes so well and we feel so good after we eat ? this is because Grandmother knows it all.
My diet chart contains all Indian recipes because I believe in Indian Food wisdom
- No of varieties
- Cooking sequence
- Right ingredients
- Every recipe have more than 10 ingredients, more ingredients - more nutrition - no to garam masala please.
Just rewind back to 1970's or 80's and study what were you eating and include them in your food list its pretty simple and I can say you will not just survive with diabetes eating these foods, you will reverse your diabetes , you will be more healthy and you will look more beautiful and you will live long and happy, Its all yours and it is already there. You are asking some one else what to eat is like asking your neighbour where did you keep your white shirt?
Lot of information is available about food & diet on the internet is either confusing or conflicting. So. I thought of preparing super easy to use Diet chart for diabetic patients. Good news is you can eat all food items non diabetics eat. Indian foods are the best providing overall nutrition which is essential to fight lifestyle diseases like Diabetes, hypertension & Obesity etc.
While preparing this Diet chart for Diabetic patients I had following things in mind, So that you will be able to stick to this diet plan for a life time.
While preparing this Diet chart for Diabetic patients I had following things in mind, So that you will be able to stick to this diet plan for a life time.
- Foods recommended in this diet chart make for balanced diet, So you can meet your goals related to fbs, ppbs, triglycerides,hdl,ldl etc.
- This diet is not boring and repetitive.
- your body will receive vitamins like mg to overcome common diabetic vitamin deficiencies.
Some basics to know before we prepare your diet chart
Eating food the Indian way for Indians is the best thing, just think bread / roti , rice/pasta , dosa /pizza ? which is Indian
Prepare your food at home and eat along with family members, switch off the tv if you can.
Our Ancestors never ate from packets, why should we? just ask yourself. we have all the facilities like gas stove, induction cooker, micro wave oven and some have an air frier too but why don't we cook ourselves, reason is simple - we give importance to everything except our health, if your health is your last priority how can you be healthy ?
Our kitchen is equipped,but we don't cook at home,reason is we neglect our health,if health is your last priority - how can you be healthy?
- No pills can cure /manage /control your diabetes and in fact they will make your diabetes worse in the long run.
- Quantity you eat is very important, simple fundamental is to eat half of your stomach, As per famous ditetian Rujuta Diwekar - you should eat as much as you can hold with your 2 hands cupped together.
- I refer eating nuts like almonds, walnuts, apricots, chia seeds etc in this diet chart, eating them after soaking and removing the skin is recommened because Soaking nuts and seeds help neutralize enzyme inhibitors and increases potency of Vitamin B. It makes proteins more readily available and eradicates toxins contained in the colon and encourages the growth of beneficial bacteria like lactobacilli , how to soak nuts ?
- I will not recommend a very tough diet plan for diabetics (which is followed by Sumant joshi to reduce his weight from 83- 63 kgs in 6months and brought down his fbs from 220 mg/dl to 84mg/dl) which may make the foodie inside you unhappy, in this diet plan I will try to give you tasty and healthy food choices so that you can continue throughout your life because I understand the toughest thing about a diet is to follow it through out your life time. balanced diet is my mantra- you can eat it for a life time
7 Day Diet Chart for Diabetic Patients
In this diet chart I am mentioning the diet plan for 7 days along with recipes and link to recipes, You will find most common recipes but difference is that we show you recipes which are modified to make them diabetic friendly like - how we made dosa diabetic friendly by adding parboiled rice and fenugreek
No food is dangerous, we are making it dangerous,, like rice, poha,muri, brown, parboiled etc ,,
ON WAKE UP
05:00 - 07:00 am
07:00 - 09:00 am
10:00 - 11:30 am
12:00 - 02:30 pm
03:30 - 05:30 pm
06:30 - 09:00 pm
MONDAY - Diet Chart For Diabetics
M1 - Monday morning wake up snack:
- psyllium husk with water
- One teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds soaked overnight in hot water
- 5-6 almonds soaked overnight.
M2- Monday breakfast: OATS UPMA
- Oats upma is simple to make, you just have to add oats instead of upma. just follow the following steps
- Add carrot pieces, Almonds(2-4) , peanuts(6-8), cashewnuts (2)& flaxseeds.
- include garlic & curryleaves
- Consider Steel cut Oats because they are more nutritious.
- Don't prefer Masala oats.
- Don't over eat, " Breakfast dhabake khana hain " this famous Indian saying is not applicable for diabetes , eat till you are 60%
M3 - Monday morning Snack:
- Eat an Apple.
- Drink a glass of Butter milk, buttermilk will help to increase good bacteria in your intestine which in-turn helps in overall health of digestive system.
- Butter milk also can keep you full for longer times, which means less hunger and less eating which can also be very effective for people thinking of weight loss.
M4 - Monday Lunch:
- Samba Godhumai ven pongal - it's a south Indian dish ! don't panic I will give the link to recipe here, its easy to make, nutritious diabetic friendly and above all it is very tasty.
- ingredients used are broken wheat, masoor dal, french beans, carrot, green peas and grated coconut.
- See the method of preparing Samba Godhumai ven pongal
M5 - Monday Evening Snack:
- One cup of coffee with Stevia or sugar less
- few Coconut pieces
M6 - Monday Dinner:
- Lets keep the monday dinner simple, I know you would have enjoyed sunday night with a mouthwatering biriyani, Parotha, alcohol etc.
- Use multigrain atta or longwheat atta to make rotis.
- Have cauliflower curry made with onions, tomato, grated coconut etc it will taste delicious - don't overeat ! see the video below for preparation.
Marble Designer Copper Bottle
Following are the benefits of drinking water from a Copper bottle.
1) kills bad bacteria in the water
2) Prevents diarrhoea
3) Copper helps in cleansing and detoxifying the stomach
4) Increases absorption of nutrients from food too.
5) Supports Iron absorption hence is good for thyroid and Anemia
6) The American cancer society says copper is effective in reducing triglycerides
But Why should you choose this Copper bottle, while there are many in the market?
Learn more by clicking on the button below
TUESDAY - Indian Diet For Diabetic Patients
T1 - Tuesday morning wake up snack:
- Take Meethi seeds soaked in hot water overnight.
- One Fresh Apple, choose only Indian - don't think I am a nationalist, reason for recommending not to take foreign apples is they are coated with a heavy wax coat, I see these apples kept out of refrigerator for 30 days also are in same shape & condition. these apples are harmful to your digestive system
T2 - Tuesday Breakfast:
- Sprout Salad which is made of cucumber, green gram sprouts, coriander, peanut powder, green chilli, chat masala, salt & cummin powder, grated radish & lemon juice.
- Steam green gram sprouts for 15 minutes , meanwhile take a bowl and mix all ingredients mentioned above.
- Take the steamed sprouts and mix them with other ingredients and sprouts salad is ready
T3 - Tuesday morning snack:
- A small cup of Chiwda, see this Poha Chiwda recipe
- Have a cup of green tea, I prefer making green tea with green tea leaves and add lemon to it instead of using a green tea bag because it is richer in anti oxidants.
T4 - Tuesday Lunch:
- 3 Roti, 50 grams rice ( prefer organic hand pounded rice , I am using 24 mantra's sonamasuri hand pounded rice ( costs INR 80 per kg ) and found it nutritious , tasty and light as well.
- raw banana curry :
- Chana ki dal : Participants in a recent study reported more satisfaction with their diet feeling fuller for long time when chick peas also called garbanzo beans were included, and they consumed fewer processed food snacks during test weeks in the study when garbanzo beans were consumed, it is highly recommended to include chick peas in your diet if you feel hungry often , see how to make chana dal recipe
Raw banana is high in protein, many other nutrients, has low Glycemic Index and high resistant starch making it suitable diabetics.see how to make raw banana curry recipe
T5 - Tuesday Evening Snack:
Have handful of roasted chana also known as whole black gram, This snack is low in fat and packed with energy, and it works well to satisfy hunger, keeping blood sugar levels stable.
T6 - Tuesday Dinner:
You can keep it simple, you have already prepared two delicious curries in the afternoon, just have 2/3 rotis with raw banana curry or chana dal.
WEDNESDAY - Balanced Diet Chart For Diabetic Patients
W1 - Wednesday morning wake up snack:
Have 6 almonds and 3 walnut kernels, consume soaked ones over night.
W2 - Wednesday morning breakfast:
Spinach chapati: These Spinach chapatis are just like aloo parathas. only difference you will observe is instead of Aloo, spinach is stuffed in inside, I am picking this recipe from one of my blogging friends Gita, she has a blog Gita's kitchen where she shares very healthy recipes for diabetics. you can see how to make spinach chapati recipe (click on the link)
W4- Wednesday morning snack
One sliced cucumber and carrot / masala peanut chat , most of you must be familiar with this if you take alcohol, In many bars and restaurants they serve this as stuff, its tasty so ensure not to over eat.
W4: Wednesday Lunch:
I will become a Bihari on wednesday, because I want to eat kichdi, Most of might be knowing about this mouth watering dish Kichdi, if you dont know about it I will explain briefly. Khichadi is normally made of rice and pulses and is easily digestible. But you can also add vegetables to it to make it more nutritious and tasty. It is very easy to make Khichadi at home. this recipe uses moongdal , rice (use hand pounded), capsicum , green peas, garlic and ghee also (don't be surprised ghee will cut your fat if you eat within limits) you can see how to make kichdi here
W5: Wednesday Evening snack:
Have a handful of cranberries, cranberries have 5 times more antioxidants than cauliflower and help in regulating blood sugar levels, increasing hdl and reduce high triglycerides besides being very delicious. they are also helpful in weightloss, kidney health, oral hygiene and immunity boost. see more uses about cranberries
It is bit difficult to get this carnberries in the market, I order them from Amazon India these cranberries cost you inr 300 for 250 gm
Before you purchase cranberries have an apple / guava as a evening snack and drink buttermilk, buttermilk can help to grow good bacteria in our intestine.
W6 : Wednesday Dinner:
For wednesday I want to introduce you to a special dish called Suuji Goothumb kanji alias long wheat mash, This is made of Long wheat . the recipe is developed and followed by Mr. Georgedappily is a teacher by profession and author of a book " mosquito control methods" He also has tremendous interest in science. he claims his long wheat mash diet if taken regularly will cure diabetes
see the method of preparing long wheat mash - recipe-1
I also recommend trying long wheat mash recipe, but if you feel it difficult to eat or not motivated enough you can alternatively try this Dalia recipe which is more simple to make and eat.
THURSDAY - Diet Chart For Diabetic Patients in India
TH-1: Thursday Morning wake up snack
Take a glass of psyllium husk soaked over night followed by a glass of Apple cider vinegar diluted. if you still feel hungry grab an apple.
TH-2: Thursday Morning Breakfast
This Breakfast recipe I am telling is also called Nitric oxide breakfast by Dr. Biswaroop Roy chowdhury who holds 3 Guinness world records for mind and body and inventor HOBS wheel for Diabetes also wrote a book " Diabetes Type 1 & 2 cure in 72 hours " while looking at the title I thought this book may be misleading or a marketing gimmick. but I ordered it and read and while reading I got great insights from his book, I strongly recommend reading this book.
Coming to the breakfast, This breakfast calls for the following ingredients
- 50 grams green gram sprouts.
- 50 grams coconut
- 20 grams soaked almonds
- 1 large tomato
- 1 medium sized betroot
- 1 green chilli
- few coriander leaves
- lemon to taste.
you just have to mix everything and eat slowly, time required to eat this breakfast is around 15 minutes, Eating it slowly is very important so that your body will absorb the nutrients more effectively
Th-3 : Thursday Morning Snack
Th4: Thursday Lunch
We are in the middle of the week and we did not touch brown rice, Do you agree brown rice is healthy? I know that you will agree. Important thing is brown rice is rich in manganese which helps in natural insulin production it is also rich in vitamin B3 ( helpful in decreasing insulin resistance), I understand you are convinced to eat brown rice atleast once in a week, next best to brown rice is handpounded rice
Recipe is Kollu kanji which is made of brown rice and horse gram also called as kulthi in hindi, Horse gram is one of the healthiest legumes, ideal for weight loss. side dish is coconut chutney.
See how to make Horsegram & brown rice porridge
Th-5: Thursday Evening Snack
thursday is for fruit lets have guava, apple or have kala channa (brown chick peas) in boiled form.
Th-6 : Thursday Dinner
Its thursday evening and if you are missing your dosa, we are here with dosa but this is ragi dosa, made of ragi flour, Ragi is rich in calcium so it is good for bone density and ragi also controls blood glucose levels, and hyperglycemic and oxidative stress. Ragi aka Finger millet has also shown promise in accelerating wound healing among diabetics. Ragi has many more benefits. see how to make Ragi Dosa here
FRIDAY - Diet Chart for Diabetic Patients
F-2: Friday morning wake up snack
Friday wake up snack is fried flax seeds and a glass of Apple cider vinegar
F-1: Friday Morning Breakfast
Pesarattu is made of batter which is made of greengram, This dosa is famous in Andhra and it is a mouth-watering breakfast but it is equally nutritious and can keep you full for longer times as it is made from green gram you can see here how to make pesarattu or green gram dosa
F-3: Friday morning snack
What about having a samosa, pakoda or moong dal, what are you thinking ?? these un healthy! don't worry we can give priority to our taste buds once in a week.
F-4: Friday Lunch
Friday lunch go with Roti and a panneer dish, mutter panneer/ panner masala etc. please don't over eat panneer.
F-5: Friday Evening Snack
Have 5-6 almonds and handful of peanuts / pumpkin seeds, I strongly recommend using pumpkin seeds because Animal studies suggest that pumpkin seeds may help improve insulin regulation and help prevent diabetic complications by decreasing oxidative stress. pumpkin seeds also helps in improving prostate health and it may lead to a significant increase in good "HDL" cholesterol along with decreases in blood pressure, hot flashes, headaches, joint pains and other menopausal symptoms in postmenopausal women & you can try something new like Oolong tea (rich in detoxifying agents) / White tea, which provides relief to diabetic people from symptoms such as decrease plasma glucose levels, increase insulin secretion and excessive thirst (polydipsia). Intake of white tea also helps in losing weight.
F-6: Friday Dinner
For Friday evening let us have mouth watering parathas , But it is important to keep them healthy so I will suggest Meethi Parathas /Mooli paratha (radish) / Rajgira Paratha . Rajgira also reduces one’s risk of osteoporosis, because it has twice the amount of calcium as milk. It is also full o f antioxidants, vitamin C, E, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium
SATURDAY - Diet for Diabetic Patients
S-1: Saturday Morning Wake-up snack
walnuts and a fruit of your choice.
S-2: Saturday Morning Breakfast
South Indian breakfast is famous all over the world and saturday is a cheerful day, Did you hear about Adai any time? Most of the south Indians are also not making it very frequently now a days Adai is highly nutritious because it uses chana dal, toor dal, urad dal & moong dal goodness of all types of dal in one recipe. see method of preparing mouth watering Adai
S-3: Saturday morning snack
If you are at home, have paneer pakoda, egg pakoda, bread toast , vadapao, etc . just take whatever you like because it is saturday.
S-4: Saturday Lunch
Try something like lemon rice , Green peas pulao , Aloo parathas along with some of your favorite curry, It is saturday I lieave it to you, but My request is try something which you don't eat regularly. If you are going out to a Restaurent choose not to over eat, Quantity is also very important.
Until Dr. Barnard's scientific breakthrough, most health professionals believed that once you developed diabetes, you were stuck with it, the most recent Research funded by the National Institutes of Health―Dr. Barnard has shown that it is possible to repair insulin function and reverse type 2 diabetes. By following the scientifically proven, life-changing program described in Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes, diabetics can control blood sugar three times more effectively than with the standard diet; and cut back on and in some cases eliminate medications while reducing the risk of diabetes complications.
Enter your text here...
S-5: Saturday Afternoon Snack
4 to 5 dates they are sweet which can satisfy your cravings for sweet, your immediate question is can diabetics eat dates ? yes you can because dates have low glycemic index there are at least 15 minerals in dates, including selenium, an element believed to help prevent cancer and important in immune function, protein, containing 23 types of amino acids, some of which are not present in the most popular fruits, such as oranges, apples, and bananas. these can be kept as ready snack , just ensure you don'e eat eat more than 4 dates at a time.
S-6: Saturday Dinner
On Saturday night most of us go out to eat at Restaurents, Pick up your fav dish. just ensure you are not eating something which high in Oil content and masala. Or if you are at home you can try this Ragi Porridge loaded with many vitamins and minerals.
Sunday - Diet Chart for Diabetic Patients
Su-1: Sunday Morning Wake up snack
have a banana , take half ripe banana and Apple cider vinegar.
Su-2: Sunday Morning Breakfast
Sunday is exactly your day, eat your favourite, If given a chance I will choose, poori sabji, Chole Bhatura, Onion dosa, Uttappam, Sabudana Vada etc. because diet should not restrict you a lot on what you like to eat.
Su-3: Sunday Morning Snack
Milk Tea with Sugar or Stevia and some mixture / pakoda etc
Su-4: Sunday Lunch
I enjoy Chicken Biriyani on sundays what about you, choose your favourite, if you are a vegetarian , you may go for Vegetable pulao (Allahabad ki Tehri ) and what is sunday without a sweet,,, Yes don't get surprised, the sweet I am mentioning is healthy too only thing you need to ensure is to make it with jaggery not with sugar - Methi ladoo
Su-5: Sunday Evening Snack
Have fried cashews / pakoda/ haldirams if you aready to bake something you can try this whole wheat Apple Cake
Su6: Sunday Dinner
For Sunday Dinner I try to have lighter menu, because I eat enough on Sunday startting from Sun Rise, i eat 2 roti with some curry or take few slices of brownbread toasted with butter.
Thats great we reached the end, Its time for you to start, few rules to follow this Diet chart for Diabetic Patients are
- You dont need to excatly stick to the same menu, you can pick the ones which are conveneint for you.
- Quality and Quantity of food both are highly important.
- Blood sugar monitoring is neccessary if you make drastic changes in Diet.
- Lack of sleep will make you from more carbs and junk, So have enough sleep.
- Avoid Milk tea and reduce Sugar free sweeteners, Only sugar free I recommend is Stevia.
- If you feel hungry between meals drink apple cider vinegar / butter milk / water instead of munching something.
I do not understand why people are calling themsleves as patients, Diabetes is just a metabolic disorder, motivate yourself to fight against Diabetes, I have created this Diet Chart for Diabetic patients, keeping in mind what is generally healthy for Diabetics, Diabetics with complications may omit some foods which are mentioned in our Diet chart. Start following this and give me feed back, also please mention if you feel any other recipe which is good, I shall feature it here. thank you a lot for reading through.
If you are interested in getting a Customized Diet plan from Us, just contact us using the button below
Please share this, your sharing means a lot to me.
Also subscribe to our Email Newsletter using signup form below if you want to receive a pdf form of this Diet chart, Existing Subscribers just sit back and enjoy you will also receive it.