By this time you would have understood , How insulin resistance can make your diabetes worse. It is easy to identify insulin resistance symptoms and undergo tests to confirm it and start your journey – How to reverse insulin resistance naturally. I will say it is not easy to reverse your insulin resistance and at the same time it is not impossible either. I am writing this guide as a single source of reliable information to reverse insulin resistance naturally after consolidating information from more than 50 sources.
Surprising part is that we have increased our insulin resistance by consuming more of processed foods but we want to reverse our insulin resistance naturally !! 😛 , It sounds abnormal if I say – You are the person who invited diabetes. You will ask me how? See below the top 12 things you did to increase your insulin resistance
a) Eating a lot of processed /packed food like biscuits, cakes, chocolates
b) Consuming soft drinks regularly
c) Eating late in the night
d) sleeping late
e) Eating lot of sweets
f) Lack of physical activity / exercise
g) Worrying too much
h) you let your weight increase rapidly
i) Not getting enough sunlight /vitamin D
j) Consuming lot of fats
k) cigarette smoking
l) Drinking Alcohol regularly
j) Not taking proper care of your dental hygiene
h) Sitting too much (latest research says Sitting too much = smoking )
The link between gum disease and diabetes appears to be a two-way street. In addition to having a higher risk gum disease due to diabetes, periodontal disease may also make it more difficult to control blood sugar, putting the patient at risk for even more diabetic complications. you can see more here
Out of the above 12 , you can straight away eliminate few of them like Drinking Alcohol, Smoking cigarettes, Eating lot of sweets and chocolates etc just out of common sense.
From the above list write down the things you are doing. (If you are interested in reversing insulin resistance naturally)You may have to undergo following tests to know exactly what is happening inside your body and also to measure insulin resistance.
Insulin Resistance is measured by the following formula – Triglycerides / HDL , if the ratio is below 2 it is considered excellent, if it is above 3 you need to act now says Dr. Ben Kim in his article ” What most Doctors dont tell you about Cholestrol “
- Insulin response test—fasting, 1-hour, and 2-hour glucose and insulin levels after a 75-gram glucose load. This is like a glucose tolerance test but measures both glucose andinsulin. Your blood sugar can be normal but your insulin can be sky high. discuss with your Doctor regarding insulin levels also.
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test – The oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) measures the body’s ability to use a type of sugar, called glucose, that is the body’s main source of energy. An OGTT can be used to diagnose prediabetes and diabetes, Fasting reading should be less than 100mg/dl , post 1 hr should be < 184mg/dl and post 2 hr shall be <140mg/dl.
- HBA1C Test which shows your 3 months average of blood sugar levels
- Lipid panel— total cholesterol (ideal < 180 mg/dl), LDL (ideal < 70 mg/dl), HDL cholesterol (ideal > 60 mg/dl), and triglycerides (ideal < 100 mg/dl).
- C-reactive protein measurement Test or ESR Test to measure inflammation inside your body, It is very important to measure inflammation because
- Triglyceride/HDL ratio — abnormal is greater than 4.
- Total cholesterol/HDL ratio — abnormal is greater than 3
reference: From Dr. Mark Hyman’s Recommended Basic Diabesity testing
How to reverse Insulin resistance naturally
After undergoing the above tests, Know let us take each condition and troubleshoot.
If your blood glucose levels are normal but insulin levels are higher :
This means your body has developed insulin resistance and more insulin is required to get the glucose into cells, It is time to look at your diet, As per Dr. Mercola who believes Nutrition is the best medicine you can reduce your insulin resistance by taking more of omega-3 oils like [easyazon_link identifier=”B00TB5U3TI” locale=”IN” tag=”readitt-21″]flaxseed oil[/easyazon_link] and [easyazon_link identifier=”B014T1AK8C” locale=”IN” tag=”readitt-21″]walnut oil[/easyazon_link] and low carb high fibre diet. Also focus should be on exercise specifically insulin resitance can be improved by doing resistance training.
If your HBA1C is more than 7 :
HBA1C will indicate average blood suagr levels for the last 3 months, its pretty well a good indicator to measure your blood glucose levels, if you want to reverse insulin resistance 100% than you should target for a HBA1c below 5.4 % . Diabetics generally have HBA1C in between 6 – 7% . You need to monitor your blood sugar levels more often, its time to buy a blood glucose meter and monitor your blood sugar levels more frequently to understand which foods are spiking your blood sugar levels and eliminate or minimise intake of such foods.
If your LDL number is more:
The number I am talking is not ldl values you get from a general lipid test, see below what I mean to say in the words of Dr. Chrisskesser, In India this test is done by Apollo labs as LDL Subfractions test
“The more LDL particles you have, the more likely you are to have some oxidized LDL, and they can be more atherogenic. However, oxidized LDL loses their predictive value when it’s adjusted for LDL particle number. That suggests that LDL particle number may be an even more important risk factor and may need a high number of LDL particles before oxidation becomes a big problem,” Kresser explains.
Its ok if you are not able to find a lab to do LDL Particle number , Check your LDL values in your lipid profile test try to target for LDL <70 mg/dL . LDL has direct link with insulin resistance.
Do the following to reduce your ldl cholestrol
- Add [easyazon_link identifier=”B01EI1R5R2″ locale=”IN” tag=”readitt-21″]coconut oil[/easyazon_link] to your diet
- Do intermittent fasting
- Avoid sitting too much and try to have enough sleep.
- take more fermented foods like Apple cide vinegar and Butter Milk to enrich your gut.
If your HDL is less than 50 :
You need to work on increasing HDL Choletrol which is also called as good cholestrol, you can increase your hdl by following these steps
- Reduce intake of processed foods and prefer organic foods and whole foods
- Consume more haelthy fats like Avacados, organic pastured egg yolks, coconuts and coconut oil, unheated organic nut oils, and raw nuts like [easyazon_link identifier=”B00ZOZGZF0″ locale=”IN” tag=”readitt-21″]Walnuts[/easyazon_link], Almonds and peanuts
- Quit smoking and reduce your alcohol consumption.
- Oral hygiene plays an important role
- Increase your exposure to sun to have enough vitamin D
If your triglycerides are more than 150
if your triglycerides are more than 150 you are insulin resistant without any doubt you should bring them near to 100. As the amount of excess insulin in your body leads to more tri glycerides. Let us see how to reduce triglycerides.
- [easyazon_infoblock align=”right” identifier=”B01F7ECW6I” locale=”IN” tag=”readitt-21″]Eliminate or reduce sweets and Alcohol
- Decrease intake of Refined Carbohydrates
- Choose foods rich in Omega 3 FATS and consume raw garlic
- Use oils like Olive oil, Coconut oil, rice bran oil, canola oil, walnut oil and flaxseed oil
- choose high fibre foods like steel cut Oats and plant based proteins.
- Exercise Regularly.
If you are suffering with inflammation : If you ask how do you know, If I am having Inflammation then the CRP test or ESR test as mentioned above is useful and also if your insulin levels are high that also indicates you are having inflammation. See belwo how to over come Inflammation
- Vitamin K1 present in green leafy vegetables and Vitamin k2 present in fermented foods like Lassi or butter milk (an Indian yoghurt drink)) is helpful in fighting inflammation
- Another simple lifestyle strategy that can help prevent chronic inflammation is grounding or earthing. Stated in the simplest terms possible, earthing is simply walking barefoot; grounding your body to the Earth. Grounding has beneficial changes in heart rate, decreased skin resistance, and decreased levels of inflammation
- Eliminate sugar
- Consume [easyazon_link identifier=”B014P5KQW2″ locale=”IN” tag=”readitt-21″]krill oil[/easyazon_link] or Omega3 oils
- consume ginger, turmeric, tulsi, Pineapple and rosemary.
- Use [easyazon_link identifier=”B00TOANVCG” locale=”IN” tag=”readitt-21″]Frankincense Oil[/easyazon_link]
Conclusion : Insulin resistance is the underlying cause of diabetes, you can reverse diabetes if you know how to reverse insulin resistance.
[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”332″ identifier=”B013UTUSGS” locale=”IN” src=”https://healthydietfordiabetics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/41Y2BeQK0WzL.jpg” tag=”readitt-21″ width=”500″]