You are interested to know more about insulin resistance symptoms, that indicates you may be a prediabetic or diabetic type -2 who studied somewhere that if you can improve your insulin resistance you can take control over your blood sugar levels and lower your diabetes medications and further people with type -1 diabetes may also lower dosage of their insulin injections. Yes it is true that insulin resistance is caused by metabolic syndrome and diabetes is a metabolic disorder, if you are not a prediabetic / diabetic but looking for typical symptoms of insulin resistance ?? thats great because you can avoid getting diabetes if you act now.
Let me brief you 5 insulin resistance symptoms right here
- darkening and thickening of skin in fold areas like neck, elbows, armpits, groin and lips etc . The most frequent trigger for acanthosis nigricans is too much insulin in your bloodstream.
- Do you feel that your tummy is increasing though you are not taking more food /calories, this can be a sure symptom of insulin resistance , see how. this symptom is very easy to identify and the same is referred as syndrome X by Dr. Ray D Strand in his best selling book ” [easyazon_link identifier=”8183221319″ locale=”IN” tag=”readitt-21″]What Doctors does not know about nutritional medicine may be killing you[/easyazon_link] “
- You feel more hungry now and you feel good about it but, it may be due to insulin resistance.
- Some people with insulin resistance may experience high blood pressure !
- Some people with insulin resistance may experience intestinal bloating /acidity
Let us know dig deeper into this insulin resistance symptoms one by one
insulin resistance symptom -1 darkening and thickening of skin in fold areas like neck, elbows, armpits, groin and lips etc . The most frequent trigger for acanthosis nigricans is too much insulin in your bloodstream.
When your cells are insulin resistant, they cannot absorb blood glucose easily but the pancreas makes more insulin to transport glucose into cells, so there is excess insulin in the blood.
This Excess insulin causes normal skin cells to reproduce at a rapid rate. For those with dark skin, these new cells have more melanin. This increase in melanin produces a patch of skin that’s darker than the skin surrounding it. Thus, the presence of acanthosis nigricans is a strong predictor of future diabetes. If too much insulin is indeed the cause, it’s relatively easy to correct with insulin resistance diet, exercise, and blood sugar control.
insulin resistance symptom -2 If your tummy keeps on increasing though you are not eating more, this may be sure shot symptom of insulin resistance Do you feel that your tummy is increasing though you are not taking more food /calories, this can be a sure symptom of insulin resistance
You think you are not eating more food bit the problem is you might be snacking a lot – When you eat sugar, flour, or other refined carbohydrates, some of the digested sugars are used for your immediate energy needs. Any excess is converted to fat or fatty molecules called triglycerides, which are stored in fat cells for later use. In order to reduce your triglycerides you need more HDL and HDL is produced by our body itself, your body will produce more HDL if you do exercise, take nuts, legumes, foods rich in omega3 fatty acids and include grapes, blackberries etc.
You feel hungry and you feel very good about it because you think your acidity is gone !
You feel more hungry because whatever you are eating is not reaching the cells, i.e glucose does not reach the cells because glucose receptors are jammed and they don’t open easily if you have high triglycerides and low HDL Cholestrol which also means insulin resistance. Because whatever you are eating is not reaching your cells, you feel hungry often see the figure here to understand this insulin resistance symptom better.
Hunger is not always good ! 😛
You may experience ocassional blood pressure spikes, this can also be a symptom of insulin resistance
insulin resistance and high blood pressure are linked because, insulin resistant people have high triglycerides and low HDL which may even lead to jamming of arteries. So if you have high blood pressure sometimes you should watch out, As you have already heard the famous line ” Diabetes and Blood pressure are linked “
You may experience intestinal bloating due to inflammation and also may lead to constipation
Most intestinal gas is produced from carbohydrates in the diet, mostly those that humans cannot digest and absorb. You may feel there is bloating and also sometimes few people have sore throat and dry cough often, inflammation is caused due to overly active immune system. you may have to go C reactive protein test says Dr. Mark Hyman chairman of the board of the Institute for Functional Medicine, He suggests seven powerful ways to get rid of inflammation.
If you have any of the symptoms above you should go for one or more tests mentioned below to sonfirm you have insulin resistance and you may be at a risk of developing diabetes or blood pressure.
- Blood lipid profile test which measures hdl, ldl and triglycerides level in your blood.
- HBA1c test which gives 3 months average of your blood sugar levels
- Glucose Tolerance Test which measure your body’s tolerance to glucose
- C Reactive protein Test which measure inflammation in your body which is a cause for inflammation.
- insulin glucose tolerance test measures insulin levels in your blood.
Its time to act now, comment here if you are confused – because 1+1 = 11.